Have you ever wondered why bad things happen all at once? Why trouble comes in threes? Or why- when it rains it pours?
Does it really?
I must say I’m sure feeling like it right now. Between sending the kid off to college, soccer tryouts, an aging dog, a big event at work – I feel like it’s definitely pouring. It just builds to the point where I just want to run away…just for a little while to catch my breath.
But I have to wonder. Do bad things really all happen at once? Or do I just see everything through a negative filter when something goes wrong? Have we simply conditioned ourselves to look for similar things? When one thing happens we are anxiously anticipating the next and make things worse than they really are? Is it all in how we frame what we see? Isn’t there an equal amount of good happening at the same time? We are so focused on the problem that we don’t notice the good.
Knowing that, how could I re-frame all these separate situations to find the rainbow? How do I go about shifting my perspective or changing the filter?
I think it requires being very intentional. That’s good for me since my word for the year is intention:)!
For me, it’s about…
- stopping myself when I’m about to run down the list of all the bad things that have happened.
- trying to step out of the situation and gain some perspective.
- adapting to the challenge presented and embracing the chance to find the not-so-obvious positive.
- talking it through with a friend to gain perspective.
- praying for peace with whatever is happening.
- remembering that in 48 hours this will feel very different!
- and if all that fails…..having a good cry so I can move on!
This time of year seems to be hard for so many of my friends. Lots of Moms struggling with separation, worried about what their kids are going through, new jobs and routines. It can be a bit overwhelming. I think it’s fair to acknowledge sometimes it’s just hard. Give yourself some grace, try some of these tactics. This too shall pass, but if we can shift our perspective we might get through it a little more quickly.
Hope your week is filled with a shower of positive 🙂 !