The boys are out of town for the week. I know this because I left them at their grandparents when I came home.
I would also know it from several clues around the house.
- There are no underwear, clean or dirty, laying in my living room.
- The ice-cube trays are full of strawberry daiquaries – for a little party later today.
- I haven’t said, “You two get away from each other right now!” for more than 24 hours.
- The dishwasher hasn’t been run in over 24 hours.
- The clean dishes are still sitting in the dishwasher – I HATE emptying the dishwasher! I usually delegate that job.
- I have food in the refrigerator!
- I haven’t seen Skyrim on my TV in days.
- I have taken the dog out and fed her!
- No one has stayed out til 2 am and slept til noon.
- I haven’t tripped over a tennis or soccer ball in my kitchen.
- I had to scrape together enough clothes for one load.
I can’t imagine the house being this quiet every day. It’s kind of killer. It’s funny how I long for time to myself when I can craft, read, organize or whatever I want without interruptions. I crave the freedom to “do as I please” for a bit, without responsibility for making dinner for the family, driving kids to activities, or just managing 5 people’s lives. And then when they are gone I miss them like crazy. Maybe what I really want is just little bits of respite mixed in amongst the crazies of my life? Like so many things, we just want what we don’t have. I just want a tiny bit of a break in every day, spread throughout. Not a week without them. Or maybe this will just make me appreciate all the craziness that much more. I can add that to my to-do list for the week; figure out how to incorporate some me time in every day.
I love my crazy family!